Thursday, October 4, 2012

Mind-Sets for Social Work Managers

One of the two best benefits of getting my EMBA when I was Dean of Social Work at Tulane University were: One, I got to see what it was like to be a student with a demanding full time job and a family, and 2) I was able to observe how another profession organized its curriculum. As a result I think I am much more empathic with my students today than I was before, knowing the pressures they are under. And, Two, because I was working on a professional degree that was completely oriented toward practice and the ability to meet the demands of employers and customers I could see ways that social work education could be improved.

A couple of years after I completed my degree at Tulane an article was published that was to revolutionize management education, and I immediately could see its potential for social work education. That article was The Five Minds of a Manager by Jonathan Gosling and Henry Mintzberg published in the Harvard Business Review in 2003.

What do you think? How might "mind-sets" revolutionize social work education? How would you add to the mind-sets?


1 comment:

  1. I feel it's a good article and it makes a lot of sense! But it's hard to truly understand the points without experiences of being in the position.Leadership is more like a skill rather than knowledge.

    ReplyDelete